Saturday, January 31, 2015

Week 3: Hearing God's Voice

I went to church today without shoes. Anyway, week 3 is over and that is crazy! I have almost been here for a month and I can’t believe it. These people are starting to feel like family and this place my home. It’s amazing how big the world is and it only took me going halfway around the world to figure it out. Hah. This week was pretty great. The topic was hearing God’s Voice and it definitely had its ups and downs. This is something that I really struggle with because I always expect a burning bush experience: an experience that is God’s audible voice breaking through the clouds which He is more than capable of doing, but He doesn’t always speak that way. These lectures keep stacking on top of each other too because the concept of complete surrender is a daily choice. To value what God thinks of you over what man does is a hard thing. The great part, which I am learning to experience, is that He doesn’t give you a direction and leave you to figure out how to get there. We did this thing where we split up into two groups. The one group turned around and the other group randomly stood behind someone in the first group so the first group didn’t know who was behind them. Following that, the first group prayed and asked God for a word about the person behind them. It could be a word of encouragement, wisdom, prophecy, or knowledge. When I was standing behind someone they got an image of a fortress with angels around it. What they didn’t know was that morning I started to read Psalms 18 but stopped because I didn’t feel like it. Psalms 18 starts by proclaiming God as a fortress. Feeling clearly spoken to, I went back and read the verse and it was great and applied directly to me. Watching other people spoken to was crazy! The people praying for those they didn’t know were SPOT ON. It was such a cool time and realization that our God is living and speaking. Encouragements to those who struggle with this concept: make sure nothing is in between you and God (sin, distractions, etc…) and expect an answer. That is my hardest struggle. God’s goodness does not rely on us though which is sweet.
            Fun stuff: We randomly went water sliding on the base with a tarp on Saturday morning. We had a sweet 3 v 3 volleyball tournament today which was great. We started a yoga group most nights (I actually enjoy it).

Thanks for reading everyone, have good weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment